On View
Not on viewThe Country Store
Dateca. 1940
Terms
- Photographs
- Ink
- Photograph
- Paper
- Concord (Massachusetts)
Dimensions57.11 × 41.88 cm (22 1/2 × 16 1/2 in.)
Credit LineGift of Roger and Susan Bergen (2008)
Object number2008.26.2
DescriptionFramed image of the Country Store (Concord, MA); enclosed in frame is a newspaper clipping entitled "Distinguished Ghosts/ that haunt The Country Store". Double glazed; in the back of frame is an enclosed Trumbull (Country Store) brochure. The image of The Country Store is a view of the building from the street; several women and a child sitting on the porch in clothing dating c. 1940. A sign with "F.H. Trumbull" is on the building. The clipping tells the story of the building itself, from its removal from the square in 1837 to its occupancy by the Thoreau family, John Keyes's law offices, the Pierce family shoemakers, and its later occupancy by Mrs. William Buttrick and T.L. Sandborn of the Colonial Inn. T.L. Sandborn sold it to F.H. Trumbull in the mid-20th century. The building originally was built on a different site in 1780 by Elnathan Jones Jr. as a wing of his new house on Main Street. After his death in 1793, his widow leased the house as a tavern, but it became a dwelling again in 1817. The brochure in the back is printed by F.H. Trumbull and is undated, but it has a long list of items that he carried in stock, including: hunting clothes, moccasins, ski wear, candy, rainwear and other outdoor wear, camping equipment, Amish designed pottery, flannels and tweed jackets, as well as Bermuda bells, Levi jeans, Franklin fireplace stoves, and Williamsburg handblown glass.
Collections
- Photographs
Object number: 2007.273
Concord Country Store
1944
Object number: 2023.17.19
